]

30 January 2013

contentment

I want things.  I like things. But things, aren't everything.

It is so easy these days to be discontent with what we have or lack of what we have.  I love Pinterest, but at the same time I hate it.  I love pinning things I find pretty, exciting, cool, but it spawns a desire within me to have what I don't need. For a while, I was sad that Pinterest did not exist while I was planning our wedding. Now, I am glad I didn't because I honestly think it would have created unrealistic expectations for the day and I feel our wedding was absolute perfection.

I have always loved clothes and shopping for things.  I mean, I could walk into Target and walk out with about 20 cool things I just had to have.  But, who couldn't because Target blesses my heart.

I have been thinking a great deal lately about contentment with physical things.  After having G, I am officially "out of work" because Taylor and I felt it would be better for me to stay at home with Gideon.    We are so blessed and glad with this decision, but at the same time, we could have more things if I did work.  (Well, maybe not with how much daycare runs these days).

But, things don't bring true joy.  True joy is the smiles I get in the morning when I wake up after a not so full night of sleep.  The giggles while he is passing gas.  Yes, I got a boy for sure.  True joy is reading his little Bible to him or singing Hillsong when he is fussy and having him relax.  

I am not saying it is wrong to want things.  I want things for sure.  I am dying over the camera from this post.  I mean so much so, that I have made Taylor promise to not get me presents for Valentine's day or my birthday and instead put money in my jar. Yes, I have a jar that I am saving money in for that camera.


And yes, there is no money in it yet! Working on it. Yes, the series "what I have my eye on" 123 is a compilation of wanted things, but I understand they are things we don't need. But anyways, you just can't let the things you want, become everything.

The past few weeks alone, I have taken over 5 trash bags full of things to Goodwill.  As in, things I had to have at one point, but now have so little regard for that I am giving them away for free.  I try to remember this each and every time I see something I "have to have."  What a lying little phrase.  I don't have to have it.  No, not one bit.  I have Taylor, Gideon, and most importantly the true Provider of joy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...