]

13 June 2014

Keeping in touch

The hardest part about deciding to move to Beaufort was leaving family.  We were so excited about the change, the location, the job, but we also knew that we would be almost four hours from my family and six from Taylor's.  It was the only downfall.

We loved the idea of Gideon growing up surrounded by family.  Always seeing his grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins (although his cousins currently live overseas, hopefully someday he will have stateside cousins, too). I grew up near my dad's family, but not my mom's.  The upside to being far away is the excitement you feel when you F I N A L L Y get to visit and see them.  That time is precious.  The place is special.  But, it is hard when you can't be there for all the big and little milestones, especially as your child is growing and changing on a daily basis.

I try my best to send little things to my parents and Taylor's mom to keep them up to date with Gideon. Obviously, this blog is a great way to do that, but it is not the same as holding something in their hands.  So, I print photos when I have a great shot of him, or let him scribble on paper with crayons, make Valentines, or use his paint-dipped foot print to make a Christmas tree and stick it in the mail to ensure that they have a little piece of this special boy.

This time we used Tiny Prints to put together a special little package for Gideon's grandparents.  Tiny Prints has tons of awesome ways to share your kid's cute mug with family and friends (even putting their face on an actual mug).  We went with the easel art because I knew it was something practical that they could use or display.  I can totally see my dad taking this to work to put on his desk.



I wanted Gideon to have a part in putting this package together and since I missed the boat when he was a baby on the salt dough handprints, I decided better late than never.  Am I right?  I'm right.  So here is the recipe:



1 cup salt
1 cup flour
1/2 cup water

mix. roll. print. bake at 225 degrees for 2 hours. 

Of course, I couldn't just stop there.  I decided to break out the paints again.  Despite this catastrophe.  What can I say? I'm persistent.  Drum roll, please.  He had a great time.  I was going to be all OCD mom and designate what colors to use or tell him where to paint (or do it myself), but decided to let him have at it and make it his own project.  So that's why they look so, um, fancy. What grandparent doesn't want this Picasso to display in their house?  None I know. That's who.




Then you know what you do?  You stick that sucker in the mail with your easel art, wait a few days and watch the tears flow when opened.  Those grandparents.  Gems, they are.



*Easel art c/o TinyPrints 

* Salt dough and non-toxic paint were consumed in the making of this project.  No toddlers were harmed and no mama heart-attacks were had.  That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...