]

17 March 2014

A little about Job


I found myself reading Job the past few days. Depressing, huh?  I actually find it beautiful.   I haven't been able to get the words "Though he slay me, yet I will hope in him" {Job 13:15}  out of my head and I wanted to dig deeper into the book to understand everything surrounding this claim.  There is so much that goes into this story and I can't sit here and shout that I understand it all.  I don't.  I am no theologian and often find myself feeling utterly under-qualified to explain anything from the Bible.  

Job is so outstanding that God sees and proclaims he is good.  And that is when Satan asks to test him, claiming that once Job loses everything, he will turn from God.  And he loses EVERYTHING, you guys.  Land, livestock, family.  Family.  Did you get that?  His children.  And yet he worshipped God.  I love verse 22 in chapter 1, "In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong." Of course this doesn't satisfy Satan, so he attacks his health.  "In all this Job did not sin with his lips"{Job 2:10}.  This is not to say Job took it all in stride. There were questions and clear discouragement with where he was. There were good intentioned friends giving advice.  And in the midst of it all, he makes that claim that resonated with me, "still I will hope in him."

I found this song and video while searching for more information on this verse.  It gave me a peace about this time in my life and knowing it is not being meaningless. It is doing something and I find myself again hearing that it is unseen to me.  I can't see what He can.  It has been easy to let my mind wander about things I have done wrong and imagining some correlation between that and our loss, but that's not it at all.  

"Behold, blessed is the one whom God reproves; therefore despise not the discipline of the Almighty.  For he wounds, but he binds up; he shatters, but his hands heal." -Job 5: 17-18






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...