]

10 February 2014

Bye, Bye...bottle



*These photos have nothing to do with this post.  But, I like photos with my posts, and there you have it*

This past weekend we broke Gideon of his evening bottle which brings the bottle/nursing count down to: 0.  I'm not sure how to feel about this. Excitement that we did it and got him through this phase or sadness that my baby really isn't a baby anymore. Things they don't tell you before having kids; emotional roller coaster.  

We were getting to the end of the can of formula we had (soy formula) and I told Taylor we weren't buying anymore.  His pediatrician said we really should try to have him off the bottle by 15 months so I thought now or never.  I stopped nursing Gideon right before he turned a year old because at the time I was pregnant so between that and my supply diminishing it felt like the best choice. I was worried about this transition though. The bottle always calmed him down and helped him to understand it was bedtime. But, I thought, what the hey, let's give it a try.

So, I filled his sippy cup halfway with almond milk. He was confused and kept shaking his arm which means bottle in his world.  I told him he could have his almond milk and he was satisfied.  The second night I gave him a little snack too and that helped even more. No tears, no tantrums. After he drinks some milk and has a snack we lay him in his bed and he goes to sleep. I'm proud mama. 

Of course, we are only a couple nights in so there is room for disaster. We will see.  So, all this to say, I spent my morning sanitizing and cleaning bottles to store away for later.  Here's to hoping that later isn't too far down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...