]

24 March 2014

Runnin', runnin' and runnin', runnin'

Last week went of the deep end in the territory of "what we didn't expect for this week."  I did not expect to get the stomach flu just a few days before the 5k that I had been planning to run for months.  I also did not expect to have a toddler who was adamantly opposed to sleeping all week.  I was bummed and stressed all week thinking about the race and a few times the thought crossed my mind to not even do it.  My body was weak and tired from being sick and having my legs hairs plucked out one by one sounded more appealing than running at this point.

Saturday morning, I decided to just suck it up and kept telling myself that it wasn't that long and I could at least finish it.  I wasn't expecting anything great time-wise.  I stuck my headphones in, turned some Hillsong on and off I went.  All of a sudden, I was passing the one-mile marker and I knew I could do this and finish well.  I will admit that I walked some, but not much compared to the past.  And even though my mom beat me {go mom!} I am so proud of my time.  I finished in 34:43 and my goal was to be under 35 minutes.  I cut four minutes off of my time from last year which is a win in my book.  I know it is not a fast pace to most, but it is for me, especially with how little I have actually trained for it.    So, cheers to finishing and the awesome sno cone I had afterwards.

*Also, my crazy mama keeps asking me to train and do a half marathon with her this Fall.  She is just that, crazy.  And I will publicly state, that this will never happen.

And let's take a look at my goals from the beginning of the year:


1. Drink more water.  I thought I would start small.  But, I also really need to do this.  I usually am running around so much and don't realize I am thirsty until I am THIRSTY.  This is ongoing!  I have been filling up my tumbler about five times a day.  


2. Learn to shoot in manual. Any takers on teaching me?  I love my camera and I know my photos would be so much better if I took the time to really figure out how to use it properly. I also hope to save up for a new lens this year. Shooting mostly in manual when we are outdoors or in a well-lit area.  My kit lens doesn't work great for manual shooting inside.


3. Be an intentional friend. It sucks to say, but the first thing to go when you have a kid is your friendships.  Especially, if they don't have kids.  I want to show my friends that they are important to me.  I'm excited to be gaining tons of new friends (and mommy friends) in Beaufort. Have been investing much more time to friendships; having friends over, going out, joining small groups.  


4. Run 5k in 30 minutes or less. My mom has asked me to run a 5k with her in March.  I want to do it, but I also want to do well. Which basically means I need to get my butt moving.  She has been running up to four miles recently and putting me to shame.  Step it up, Em.  Step it up. Signed up for a 5k in March.  I think I may have been a little extreme with the 30 minutes goal, since I did it in 38 last year.  I don't think I am shaving 8 whole minutes off, but maybe 35 minutes or less is feasible?   CHECK


5. Savor my time with Gideon. This goes without saying, but I want to focus on quality time with him instead of time plagued with laundry and dishes, etc.  He is only this size for so long. This is also ongoing and I find myself stopping mid-tracks and being intentional about watching him play or tickling him longer.  But, there are hard days where I fail and I feel guilty.


6. Compile our photos into a family yearbook. I have started working on this, but I know if I don't put it on here I won't finish it.  Keep asking me how it is coming so I feel guilty determined enough to finish.  CHECK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...