]

24 October 2013

Crockpot chili


I love a good chili.  Always have, always will and since getting married, I have taken it upon myself to be fully stocked and ready when "chili season" comes.  Taylor has dubbed October 1st through February 28th chili season and we are NOT to have chili any other time outside of those guidelines.  I know there are a million chili recipes out there and this is really nothing new, but I always know that everyone makes chili a little different, so why not share my take on it.  This won't be a formal recipe, as chili is kind of a free-for-all.  Just toss things in and see how it turns out.  But, here is how I do it:


Things you need:
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion
1 green pepper
2 stalks of celery
chili powder
hot sauce
2 large cans of tomato sauce (I usually just buy store brand)
2, 8 oz cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of kidney beans
shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream
tostito chips


What to do:

I start my crockpot in the morning with the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and kidney beans (drained), set on warm.  I chop the onion (about half), green pepper (about half) and two stalks of celery.  I brown my ground beef and then add the veggies to the pan to simmer for a minute or two.  I then add the ground beef/veggie mixture to the crockpot.  I add some hot sauce and chili powder, both to your liking.  Taylor always tells me to "ere on the side of spicy."  To each their own.  I usually turn up the crockpot to low while I am home and turn it down to warm if I plan on leaving.  Just stir occasionally.  By dinnertime, you are all set.  I serve mine over chips and top with cheese and sour cream.  Taylor will eat his over chips or in a bowl.  I grew up eating mine over chips so I never understood the whole "chili in a bowl" thing and I say bring on the chips.  It feels like a little chili nacho thing.


Of note:

-You can always add more or less of things like tomato sauce or diced tomatoes.  We like ours a little more runny, so more sauce and a little less chunky, so less diced tomatoes.

-Next up will be a white chicken chili which is always a hit!

-I must have done something right the other day because Taylor posted this:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...